Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Autumn Potluck Recipes

We are having a work potluck soon, and I wanted to pick two items that would be both seasonal and frugal. The first dish I chose was something my friend Chelsea told me I just had to try, and I have made it several times and gotten great reviews from my husband and other dinner guests we've had. It's a butternut squash dish that is lovely and savory rather than sweet and pumpkin-pie spiced. I highly recommend you try Epicurious's Parmesan Roasted Butternut Squash.

The other item I chose is something I had never made before, so this past weekend I gave it a test run. I made a half recipe of TheKitchn's Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats for my test run, and I'm not sure if that influenced the amount of time the mixture should have cooled. By the time I added the additional marshmallows the mixture was so cooled the marshmallows didn't melt at all. I think I'll mix them all in at the same time next time, as I'm not a big fan of whole marshmallows in my rice krispies treats. Also stirring in the rice krispies to the cooled marshmallow mixture was extremely difficult, and I think it would have been easier to mix them all together before the mixture was room temperature (possibly lukewarm instead?). I'll try that and hope that my rice krispies treats aren't soggy (as the recipe states they may be if I combine the ingredients prematurely). The overall flavor was great, and the pumpkin taste was delicious! I must say I'm not exactly disappointed that I'll be trying a second test run before giving them away! I'll write an update once I've created the second batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment